Sunday, August 21, 2011

Life-Taken to a virtual reality!



It was a pleasant surprise when I bumped into one of my college friends the other day on my way back home from office. We were undoubtedly happy to see each other after such a long time ( yea when you are in IT days do seem longer let alone years ) .

We exchanged the usual pleasantries, about what we were doing and how life was, weekend plans etc etc. He told me he had gone on an outing somewhere last weekend and I said "I know man, I've seen your pictures on FaceBook." When I said that he gave me this disappointing look and I started thinking if I had said something wrong. With a hurtful tone in his voice he said "Yaar Tu ne comment nahi kiya???" (You didn't comment on them). I didn't say anything, I was lost for words. I mean how do you react to that? I obviously can't say "Na man! I din't know it was an unsaid rule or I dint know it was such a big thing for you or" I wasn't about to take another risk of a sentimental athyachaar.

This is when you realize the cyber age has taken over even your socializing etiquettes. A decade or so ago if your paying a visit to your village or hometown and you don't drop by the houses of your friends or relatives who are living in that area it would have been considered impolite. Now its this, visiting your friends profiles and not commenting on their pictures is considered impolite now.

Let’s see what’s impolite 10 years from now? Mapping into your friends thought frequency and not saying a 'Hi'? Who knows, one can only IMAGINE! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment